Differences between migraine and headache
Unfortunately, the current pace of life, makes the head is one of the most punished areas of the body. Obviously, when it hurts, we want it to happen as soon as possible. For this, we must know exactly what we have and that is what we are going to show you. The differences between migraine and headache .
What is migraine?
We begin by explaining what is migraine . And we do it in a simple way: not all migraines cause headaches. Nor is every headache caused by a migraine. At the health level, what is a migraine, has an easy answer: it is the dilatation of the skull arteries . How does it arise? At the moment, nobody knows, although the genetic has much to do.
The truth is that migraine results in a constant and intense headache that usually occurs in only one side of the head . In the case of migraine, the pain appears without warning and may arise in combination with other problems stomach or visual .
What is the headache?
Once the migraine has been explained, it is time to know what is the headache or headache , as is usually known. And is that headache is a headache to use. We talk about this headache that comes and goes in an alternative way . The most frequent headaches are migraine or tension headache.
Headache, in addition to a intense pain , can generate distress in the patient. Now, they are not usually symptomatic of a major health complication. In spite of this, when a headache appears, it is recommended to go to the doctor. The reason is that any change in symptoms can be a more worrisome disease.
Differences between migraine and headache
Throughout his life, every person will suffer several headaches, of greater or lesser severity. Knowing the differences between migraine and headache can be very useful to take one measure or another. Of course, not everyone has this information. These are the differences between migraine and headache.
The first thing we should know is that migraine and tension headache are the most common headaches. Hence, there is so much confusion between them.
- Pain - The pain between them is different
- Tension headache - The pain is constant and it feels as if someone presses the whole head, including the back area. It is usually a unique symptom and will not go away, even if we exercise or force the machine.
- Migraine - Migraine pain is located in a single point of the head . It feels like a slight pain that pumps and that increases with intensity over time. Migraine can lead to other symptoms such as nausea and stomach pains. Also, someone with migraine will not withstand light or noise. Will be hypersensitive.
- Origin - The onset of headache and migraine has very different origins
- Tension headache - The headache usually manifests after a specific situation of stress. In fact, when the situation calms down, the headache tends to disappear without problem.If it occurs once, it is usual to do it again, even in other circumstances.
- Genetics - Like many other diseases, genetics inherited is a task in some cases
- Headache tensional - It does not usually pass from father to son nor does it seem to have any relationship with genetics.
- Migraine - It is a condition that aims to be inherited. In spite of not knowing its origin, everything indicates that if the parents suffer from migraines, the logical thing is that the son or daughter suffer the same ailment.
Treatments for migraine and headache
Lastly, this is treatment for migraine and headache . And, since nobody gets rid of one or the other, better know how to solve it.
Treatments for migraine
The treatment against migraine , fortunately, is broad and effective. There are few alternatives to combat this disease. We list them all. This is the treatment for migraine:
- Analgesic - It only has an effect on mild migraines li>
- Anti-inflammatory - They need a prescription and are also limited to moderate intensity migraines
- Anti-emetics - Indicated for a migraine that is accompanied of vomiting and great pain
- Ergotamine - Also necessary when there is a severe episode of severe migraine.
- Triptans - Both moderate and severe, triptans are the most effective medications against migraines.
- Medications preventive
- Antihypertensive drugs - Used in migraines that derive from arterial hypertension
- Antidepressants - Recom cramps for migraines of high tension or caused by depression
- Beta-blockers - Are those that are prescribed to migraines due to hypertension or to pregnant women.
- Bótox - It is a new treatment that is used to alleviate chronic migraines. Of course, it requires more than 30 punctures in the head and neck, since it is necessary to reach the pericranial nerves.
- Calcioantagonists - It is a substitute for those who can not take beta-blockers. li>
- Neuromodulators - In this case, to prevent migraines caused by epilepsy or overweight.
Treatments for headache
We end with headache treatments . As with migraine, they are many and varied according to intensity.
- Analgesics - Aspirin or ibuprofen help to alleviate headache
- Combined - Two are combined medications for a greater effect. For example, aspirin with caffeine
- Triptans - Very effective for severe headaches
- Narcotics - Opioids have many side effects but are a valid last resort
- Preventive medications
- Tricyclic antidepressants - The most common to prevent headaches.Causes, types and treatment